To be still inside out is Chup Saadhun or knack for just being and not doing anything nor interfering if any thinking triggers automatically but in all respects not supporting any doing or thinking. Chup Saadhun is referred as CS everywhere in this write-up. Chup Saadhun is a Hindi word, Chup means being silent and still, and Saadhun means a way or approach or means to meet your ultimate purpose.
Psychological set up for CS
Understand and decide well that I don’t have to do anything in this CS. Not for self nor for the world, not for this life or next, nothing needs to be done at all. Sit with this conviction and understanding. Suitable time for CS session is as soon as we get up from sleep. After you wake up, pray for few seconds in your usual way, and then sit for CS session. As in during deep sleep, there was no thought about doing something or reaching somewhere, similarly, in wakeful state simulate the same conditions and do not do or think anything. Not even engage in reflection, mental-journaling, introspection or meditation. Moreover, don’t even hold this idea of not-doing-anything too hard or else this will become another effort for you. In reality, when we attach to mind and body then only, the question of doing matters, otherwise not-doing-anything is something natural and self-proven.
Initially, if somebody has deep faith in divine then he can visualize that he is lying in the lotus feet of Lord and then drop thinking, drop the initial visualization too. But this is not required but kind of initial help for few who find it difficult not to do anything.
Last but not least, we should finish up any essential task before entering the session because it is quite likely to get recurring thought about impending tasks during a session if left undone.
The Process part of CS
Be still. Just be. Once you have prepared yourself psychologically that nothing needs to be done then apart from that there is no process as such. One does not need to think about anything, not of this world or next, about self or divine, nice or not-so-nice. Moreover, the important part of the process is to remain non-cooperative to all mental churning and let it precipitate into silence naturally. And you remain in non-interfering, non-reactive, and non-attachment mode. One cannot do anything beforehand for the same, and the non-cooperative role becomes more important once the thought forms appear in our inner space. So, more importantly, we need to discuss in detail how we have to manage or rather remain disconnected to the thoughts which appear during CS session.
The sessions can be practiced anytime, in any state but preferred time is just after we get up from sleep and before going to bed. Or at the start and end of any task or group of tasks. Durations can be as per the person’s capacity, the initial suggestion is to start small, easy and increase gradually. Initially one may begin with 5 or 10 mins and later they can take it to 20 or 30 mins doing once or twice a day. Doing it multiple times, attaching to daily chores, for durations like 1 min or so is also fine.
Handling thoughts during CS session
It is quite natural that we would see thought forms appearing as soon as we give space to self from active tasks. Our role is mainly non-cooperative and we have to keep ignoring whatever comes up. Let’s take various structures of thought forms and common mistakes that we might do during CS session.
- During the session if you recall anything from past then don’t get swayed, just ignore. Just in case if you were not alert enough and were carried away for a while then also as soon as you realize, just ignore and be still.
- Do not fight with any unwanted or unpleasant thought. Fighting will give it more power and attention and importance, resistance keeps it more alive and active.
- Do not react with happiness for any good ones nor be unhappy with wrong ones popping in and out of your inner space.
- Do not attract any desired ones nor repel any traumatic ones. Just be.
- In case you forget which means you find yourself doing something mentally or started pulling or pushing any thought then also come back to normalcy and resume the non-cooperative role. And don’t react now, why you got attached when you should not.
- Don’t assume the connection with thought believing that “this is my thought”, “how can I think so weird etc” or “Oh that’s my brilliant idea”. Take thoughts as simply thoughts and not as my or your thoughts. We know from our experience, whatever we connect to, that is enlivened and lives more. So, if we wish to silence the mental chatter then we should not assume any connection with thoughts.
- Do not judge any thought as bad or good, it is simply a thought. Labeling it as bad will give more importance and make it more difficult for us to detach and remain Indifferent.
- Do not judge or blame the mind for having any bad thoughts. Actually, the mind is not good or bad, rather, it is simply an instrument to out stream our psychological expressions. Take responsibility on self for any issue and understand that even your key fault is to attach with fleeting experiences and expect lasting satisfaction from it.
Normally we get more thoughts when we become still, why?
While doing or desiring something, when we attach to pleasure or pain in any life experiences then it conditions the mind and leaves some impression on it. Such deposits are being formed since long, and one cannot ascertain since how long, conditioning could well be from past lives. And when we become still then nature has an inbuilt cleansing process, triggered to fulfill mainly two tasks.
- Nature cleanses our minds and makes it lighter. Our main role is to just not interfere with the cleaning process and let the conditioning evaporate away naturally.
- Secondly, to reveal us what impressions were stored in our wrong way of living, so that, we can avoid repetitions and conditioning don’t get formed in the first place. But any reflection and review on this should be done outside of CS session. It’s an additional help from nature for us to refer to our internal journal.
All in all, we have to understand that thoughts which surface during CS session, are actually going away and getting silenced for good, and it’s not a new thread. So, don’t make it an active thread by attaching or wanting it to disappear fast or giving any kind of explicit push or pull. Just be there and let it go. Whatever we have done in past or decided to do in future, whatever desires, fulfilled or awaiting – the crystallized influence of all of it is getting expressed via numerous mental forms.
All we need to do during this natural cleansing, don’t build any relation with parting thought forms by fearing the awful and sticking to pleasant ones. Moreover, trust fully that whatever is rising in inner space, that will surely be silenced. Just like every person who takes birth will surely die.
Thus, we have to value disconnection more than anything. If you observe closely then can easily find that in this world there are so many worthy or sinful projects are being executed but we don’t get affected in any way as we don’t have any connection to it. Similarly, don’t identify and connect to thoughts in this mind too, and you will be surprised that no thought can ever influence us. This way we become cool and equanimous – not a small achievement!
Pitfalls in practicing CS sessions
- Laziness: One should understand very well the difference between laziness and CS. Laziness sits at the bottom of productivity graph while CS sessions are highly refreshing and productive thing to happen to an individual. Laziness attracts endless useless thinking, while in CS session, one is detached and doesn’t accelerate any mental static, rather, useless thinking is intentionally decelerated. Laziness paralyzes the power to act and builds up resistance to action while CS opens up new channels within, preserves more energy for greater causes and responsibilities. CS gives power to act when needed and capability to withdraw when resting is wiser than action. CS strikes off both – dormant laziness and active laziness (getting addicted to working). So, laziness should not be misunderstood as CS, and one must check laziness by appropriate exercises or active games, and doing essential tasks timely.
- Using CS to escape from duties: One should not take CS as an alternative of escaping from essential duties, believing that since he is doing something of higher value, so, its okay to skip some duties. All essential tasks must be performed with zeal and devotion as before. This will be an extra aid in letting you slip gracefully in CS session. You will have less recurring disturbances of undone tasks.
- Feeling sleepy during the session: If one feels sleepy for whatever reason, diet issues or lack of sleep, one should not try CS at that time, as it will seem difficult and may not go well. Do some walk or couple of stretches and get active first and then try again, if you wish to do that time only. Anyway, nothing to worry in case slept in between or after the session as long as we don’t make it a habit to sleep during CS sessions. If that happens then we will miss the benefits of CS sessions.
- Holding tightly the idea of not-doing anything: One must not be obstinate about not-doing because CS is kind of knack to slip in the deepest natural state of being. And any force applied will not let this knack develop successfully. Therefore, one should not take any extreme stance mentally, instead, stay in the natural, neutral, and indifferent mode. Holding on to not-doing is also an effort and may create more mental stress than actually doing that thing physically. Moreover, any obstinacy does not align with fundamentals of CS which are being:
- Effortless and easy
- Non-labeling and
- Desire-less for even evacuating all thoughts or attaining a state of trance.
This non-attachment to both – doing and not-doing – is also mentioned in Bhagwat Gita:
“Naiva tasya kritenaartho naakriteneha kashchana” (Gita 3 | 18)
Meaning – The one who has attained success in Yoga by selfless actions, does not suffer attachment or self-seeking in doing or not doing something.
Science behind the power of CS
Whatever we do, that expends our energy and we get tired eventually, and largely depend on sleep for recharge. Sleep is nothing but a daily nature-gifted-entry into a non-doing state to recharge body-mind and senses. During sleep, we enter unconsciously in Yoga state, the dimension of all powers and peace.
CS can be defined as conscious sleep. There is an awakened awareness – natural and effortless – amidst all that happens. This is introduced in Gita as Aatm-Sanyam-Yoga –
Sarvaaneendriya karmaani praanakarmaani chaapare;¨ Aatmasamyamayogaagnau juhwati jnaanadeepite. (Gita 4 | 27)
Meaning – Others again sacrifice all the functions of the senses and those of the breath (vital energy or “Prana”) in the fire of the Yoga of self-restraint kindled by knowledge.
All powers come from stillness or getting in touch with your permanent home, which is deep restfulness. Achieving that dimension of yoga in a wakeful state is the key purpose of all yoga techniques or spiritual practices, and know experientially the source of power, peace, and absolute freedom, directly.
Whatever we do that has a beginning and end, but not-doing is endless like silence. Sounds rise and fall in silence but silence prevails before and after all sounds. Similar is the case of non-doing dimension, it supports all activities from birth till death, and remains as-is forever unaffected by any activity. Non-doing dimension is an essential aspect of divinity and mysterious nature of this Universe.
Moreover, CS helps to preserve most precious forms of energy:
Much of our crucial resources get depleted in ongoing mental static which is mostly useless, repetitive and often negative. Furthermore, negative self-talk has long-lasting negative effects on our subconscious. Everyone needs power in life badly to progress, to stop from harmful urges, to rise high, to make important U-turns in life, and so, something that helps them come out of overthinking, negative thinking, half-hearted ways of living, is a real boon.
CS trains us to unlearn the patterns which keep us attached to the thoughts, judgments, and reactions happening at the grass-root level of thoughts. This saves energy which was earlier working against us in the form difficult emotions and negativity. Moreover, it restores us the connection to the source of all inspiration and deep rest, our ultimate home. Thus CS, addresses the deepest needs of humans – peace, reclaimed attention on self, and energy preservation, that too, naturally, independently, and effortlessly.
Importance and benefits of CS
It is the ground of every means of success and all means of finally merge into it. There are countless direct and indirect benefits in every field of life. Some could be revealed soon while others may take some time to surface in life. And many would be kind of safeguarding from self-created conflicts and indirect contributions to mental and emotional wellness. Few to mention are:
- All activities belong to ever-changing nature, and if we are able to detach from actions and movement for even small durations then we get easily detached from changing world and can then shift back to our ever-present and restful center within. Self-realization, liberation, and fulfillment – different names but same thing – happen to us easily and naturally.
- In spiritual texts, our natural state, which is the goal of CS, is described as most important means compared to other approaches for spiritual growth. It is said to be better than meditation and conception which in turn is better than the contemplation of scriptures, and pilgrimage sits at the lowest in these four. The suitability of any means increases as the dependencies and complexities involved get lesser.
- The mention of non-doing dimension is very less in Scriptures and texts from sages. There has been a Saint, Shri Hariram Das Ji Maharaj from Rajasthan Estate in India, there is some mention in his texts about CS. In his words – “ Being natural is the way, and one should naturally rest in Self. Deep rest is the home for both – human being or Lord himself.” He introduces himself as “ Hariram’s Guru is Shri Jaimal Das, and Lord is Rama who is beyond nature. This body is the temple and being natural and restful is my way of service”.
- Similarly, Sage Kabir, who lived in medieval India, sung glory of Sahaj Samaadhi, another name for CS only. In his verses he says, his life after getting to the natural state of Self has become utterly relaxed and he is not taking any penance to worship or practice anything spiritual. Whatever he does that is his worship, his whole night sleep is like bowing down before Lord, his walks here and there are holy circling around Lord. He has given up on limiting desires and found the treasure within, and his connectedness is ever undisturbed. He has attained equanimity and experiencing the highest state, and found his permanent home which is beyond worldly hustle, and all pain-pleasure duo.
- Not-doing dimension encompasses all dimensions of doing. One may get disinterested in doing something but that’s not the case for non-doing dimension. Moreover, taking rest in being can reveal you something you love to create in this world, as per your make and capability.
- We all need to recover and charge us for next task, next project or next day but struggle to disconnect previous thread of work or any clashes in relationships. Many of us suffer from insomnia because we cannot detach from the day’s highlights and keep thinking, and remain tired and restlessly awake. Most of us understand the value of complete disconnection but struggle to achieve it in life. CS makes it much easier to disconnect.
- CS, being totally independent of mind-body-intellect dependencies, is effective in disconnecting from thinking process because it doesn’t use the mind to go beyond mind, while many others are dependent on mind and its ever-changing states. CS looks a bit difficult in beginning but once understood then it can be integrated gradually and in small durations like 30 sec to 2 mins, many times during the day. For example, you can have something like morning and evening sessions of 10-10 mins each, and 5-5 mins each after we get up from sleep and last thing before going to bed. This padding of CS sessions will add to your energies and help you to get better at work and in all your relationships.
- Sages have also referred this knack as “Mook Satsang“ and “Achintya Ka Dhyan“. Meanings below:
- Mook means silent, Sat is the one who exists ever, Sang – company or deep connection. “Mook Satsang” means being in company and connectedness of ever-present Existence through silence.
- Achintya – means inconceivable or unthinkable, Dhyan means meditation, Ka means of. “Achintya Ka Dhyan” means meditation of inconceivable by non-thinking awareness.
By grace, we have such powerful and effective knack made available to us. Next important project is to be fully inspired, committed, and persistent for integrating this beautiful knack in our life.
There are rarest things in life which are useful and applicable across all levels, all states, all situations, all places, and all persons.
Note: This write up is sourced from 2 Hindi books of Swami Ramsukh Das Ji, having the details on CS. Whatever changes are done, those are just to give more clarifications and a simplified view of CS for better understanding. I have been greatly benefited from it and still aspiring to integrate deeper into my life. Based on my understanding and experiences of CS sessions and experiments in yesteryears, I highly recommend this knack to all for success in life. Particularly, those who are struggling to harness their minds or whoever feeling stuck in their spiritual path even after many years of practice and studies.
Those, who are well versed in Hindi, can also read it directly from Swami Ramsukh Das Ji’s open and free resource site for truth seekers. Link to read the same concepts in Hindi on this link. (Click on topic number 32 under –Jnana-yoga section on left side of frame).
Best wishes as ever,